Wednesday, March 23, 2011

food politics in our house

I like making dinner every night. I like cooking healthy things for my family. But lately it's gotten hard to do. Keeping the balance between what I consider healthy and what Alex considers tasty is a fine line to walk.
My mom used to get frustrated at my picky eating habits as a child and used to say to me out of exasperation; "I hope you have a daughter who is as picky as you!" Which in turn I would reply, "well that'd be great because then she'd agree with me!" Of course my habits changed over the years from a no-squash policy to a vegetarian who eventually ate fish, who then sometimes added in chicken, and finally who dropped the ball completely when living in Madagascar. (due to culture, not food availability) And in that time I studied enough about nutrition to become pretty passionate about the subject.
These days, I haven't quite gotten over the whole meat thing. Maybe it's because I never learned how to cook it well enough, but I don't serve it every night and try to get a variety. Or, as much variety as possible with a husband who doesn't like fish or chicken. (I serve it anyways)
So it's funny now, (or annoying, depends on the day) to try to cook for my husband who would be happy eating beef every single night and where I don't want more than once a week. He was also raised in a culture where food is viewed in a completely different light. I could go on about the differences between American and French food culture, but really, I just want us to both like what we're eating. And I think the way to do that is if I get my little hands on this:


and this:

I love cookbooks, have several in french already, but they don't really give more than just a recipe, whereas these 2 will give the background info necessary to "kick it up a notch!" or whatever annoying nonsense Emeril used to say. Right now, my cooking depends on the quality of the recipe. But I want to stop following so many recipes and just concentrate on the technique.
Do any of you have one or both of these books in kitchen?
If so, give me your opinion!
Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment