Wednesday, March 2, 2011

PC Mada memories: my first glimpses of the big red island

Excitement, anticipation, fear.
I don't even remember being at the airport in Tana.

Driving through the streets of the capital to a small community an hour from the bustling big city, the new health volunteers for Madagascar arrive in September of 2006! Stopping first briefly at the Tana PC house (Meva) to sort through luggage and file papers, we also get to meet other PCVs who marvel at how squeaky clean we look. Secretly, I want to grow dreads.



Sambaina, our new home far, far away from home.
Each PCV is dropped off at the house of their prearranged host family.
It's just in time for dinner. I'm too excited to be hungry. I ate soup with stale bread and thought the world of my new host mom for serving it to me. We try to hash out ideas like family and where I come from in the states using a map and a few pictues I brought along.

This town has electricity! And buildings 2 stories high! It's located along a major road to the capital, and the road is paved!

The view off the balcony looks onto a huge rice field where I see people working everyday. Everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment