Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Under the Sea

As a little girl, I dreamed of being Ariel from the little mermaid. I would sing all the songs from that classic Disney movie and imagine myself being swept away by all the fun I could have living in the ocean. Looking back, it seems as though I've been able to live that dream.



(doesn't this look like the cave where Ariel kept all her treasures?!)

In the early part of the time I spent living in Madagascar, Alex took me on my first dive. Although I was completely terrified and thought I'd never survive, it really was a stunning and sublime experience that I encourage all people to try at least once. I was incredibly lucky as a first-timer. The sea was beautifully clear, in the almost untouched waters off the coast of this huge red island in the Indian Ocean. I saw a sea turtle, a sting-ray, and a couple of octopus's (how do you pluralize that?) making babies. Awesome. I couldn't wait to go back.







Since then, I've gotten my first level here in Réunion, and seen just about everything except for sharks. Not that I'm exactly missing seeing them or anything. One day though, I hope to work up the courage (and funds) to go cage diving with the sharks off of seal island in South Africa. Hey, dreams really do come true, even if you're a little girl wishing, no, yearning to be like a mermaid under the sea.



No comments:

Post a Comment