Sunday, October 18, 2009

the simple life

Living in the middle of the Indian Ocean is nice, quite nice in fact. But sometimes, well, you feel a bit isolated. It's not the clear blue water you see EVERYWHERE that makes you feel that way. It's not the constant chatter in the french language either. No, it's the fact that La Réunion is a tiny forgotten little island that is difficult and expensive to ship certain products to. And don't get me wrong, I completely embraced the "simple life" mentality even before living here. It's just that sometimes, just sometimes, I'd like to be able to purchase reading materials in English. Or perhaps a specific cooking ingredient to make something not french or créole tasting. It's hard to get items like that here. Sometimes I have family or friends who kindly offer to send me something of whatever I'm missing. And usually my answer is peanut butter. Or that I can't think of something off the top of my head. Or, I don't want them to bear the crazy shipping expenses to send me something that might cost half as much. Or, I suddenly feel that "simple life" conciousness sitting on my shoulder scolding me for wanting more than what this beautiful island already offers. Point being, it's hard for me to decide which option is better; living simply, or satisfying my urge to make homemade hummus. (I can't find tahini here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment