Saturday, January 28, 2012

the big move

Most people who read this blog know already that we are moving to New Caledonia. Like soon. It's the reason I haven't posted much in the past couple of weeks. When the plans became solid, we had to start right away with the planning for such a big move. And all I want to be doing in the meantime is nesting or resting. Nesting is out of the question, but Alex makes sure I don't try to do too much during this time. "I'll take care of it! Go rest, you're 9 months pregnant you know", he says to me. But if you know me, you'll know I can't just sit back and do nothing. I think it's in my genes.
There has been so much to think about, with the arrival of baby #2, obtaining a passport for the new little guy, renting out our house, what to do with the stuff we are leaving behind, how to ship other stuff, cleaning up inside the house, packing, the copious amounts of paperwork, saying goodbye to our cat (she'd have to stay in quarentine 6 months if we wanted to bring her with us, and we don't want to put her through that), and the numerous house projects to finish before people start to come look at the house. Alex can't do everything.
On top of that he is due to start work on Feb 20th. Will baby #2 be born in time for all of us to travel together? That is the big question. Also, if I travel alone with the 2 boys afterwards, how the hell am I going to cope with recouperating after a delivery on a 14 hour flight? (Hey Luc, you're 3 now, could you get all those heavy suitcases?) Let's not even think about if there are any complications. We debated for a better part of 2 weeks if we could find a way to get someone here to help and to travel with me. If money weren't an issue....tickets can't be bought until the baby is born. Last minute long distance flights aren't cheap.
Don't get me wrong, we're both pretty excited about this opportunity, but honestly, I find myself thinking, "why not just a few more weeks, please, let's delay!" Not an easy situation to be in, for sure, but it will work out, even if it's not exactly how I pictured the arrival of our second boy. He may not use cloth diapers like I had wanted, and I may find breastfeeding difficult during our move, but as long as we all remain healthy, I'll be happy.
I have been impressed though so far with how Alex and I have worked together in this, and not gotten all crazy-crazy stressed out. One step at a time. That's what we keep telling each other. He is working so hard on the house. Have a look-see:
repainted balcony

working on repainting the exterior

1 comment:

simone said...

babe i can't even begin to image how crazy things are for you, but i know you'll get it all done in true lyn style. wish i could whiz around to give you a hand! xx

Post a Comment