Monday, March 8, 2010

March 8th is International Women's Day!

Instead of festivities, I'll spend today privately remembering the women who's lives I was so lucky to be a part of in Madagascar, and with whom I spent 2 consecutive Women's Days celebrating. Before that, I had never celebrated the day, in fact, I was only vaguely aware of it's exsistence. Yet another example of how living in Madagascar changed my life. Many villages there did have organized women's groups, which took on year-round volunteer activities as well as having big blow-out celebrations every March 8th.
Here's a look at women's day in my past:







In particular, I'll be thinking of "Mama Vazaha", named so before I arrived, but the name really became meaningful after we spent so much time working, living, and celebrating together.


No comments:

Post a Comment