Friday, December 31, 2010

processing

Out of all the wonderful things that occured in 2010, there is one thing this year that I wish never happened.

It's still hard to fit words into the feelings surrounding Matt's death. I may not say it, but I think about him everyday. Tears still come easily. I can't bear the thought of erasing his Skype name from my contacts list. Occasionally I let myself think of how we could have a conversation via Skype or facebook. Or that really, he's still there in Maryland, and I'll see him the next time I go back to the states. On the eve of this new year, I wish happiness to all, but I'm sad to move further away from his death, in a way, each passing day feels like he gets farther away. Because as time passes, we make new memories without him in them.
The stark reality of his absense really hit me when I arrived in his parents house last May for the funeral. I wasn't even sure I would be able to find the right tickets to fly back in time. 12 hours to Paris, then a change in airports, a few hours wait, then 8 hours to DC. I was in daze. People on the airplanes asked if I was sick. I could only mumble short phrases. Three short days in the states, then a backwards repeat of the thousands of miles again. I was so thankful to be able to go and spend a few days with my family, but it was equally as great to get back to Alex and Luc at home. Those crazy days in the beginning are over, and I can once again function without tearing up in odd times and places. But I can't stop thinking.....why can't he just pop up again on our radar? I think the permanent state of something is only truely understood in death. He is permanently gone. It's awful. No one will ever get a chance to speak with him again. But if he was here, what would you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment