Monday, May 17, 2010

Matthew Raymond Beiter June 20th 1990 - May 17th 2010

The phone rang around 11:30 this morning, and the number on the caller ID said something like 019999919999. I was puzzled and almost didn't pick it up, thinking it was going to be a wrong number. Only, it was my Mom calling, which before she could say anything more than "Hello", I knew something was VERY wrong, not only by the sound in her voice, but because EST is 8 hours before Réunion time. Only bad news needs to be told at 3:30 in the morning. I don't know all the details of the accident, but it doesn't change what happened as a result. Matt was sitting in the back seat of a friends' car that was hit by another around the Muncaster Mill Rd area. The friends are OK; Matt died from his injuries. I am in shock, as of course is the rest of the family and especially his parents John (my brother) and Leslie, and his younger brother Kevin.
Matt is technically my nephew, but we're closer in age (7 yr difference) than I am with my older siblings, so we grew up together a little more like sister and brother. I spent several memorable summers with him and his family. I remember block parties and Fourth of July celebrations in the Rock Creek valley neighborhood when they lived at Drake Terrace, even the new basketball hoop that went up at the court where everyone played. I remember the townhouse in Gaithersburg, having sleepovers there, us playing with new neighborhood kids, and making forts in the basement. Then the four of them moved to a house with a weeping willow tree and swingset in the backyard. Matt attended Gaithersburg High School, but I saw him and rest of "JKLM" less as I was away at Clemson. Matt loved life; he laughed and joked a plenty, and could also be a trusting friend and family member.
I hope that as people support his immediate family in their grief in the weeks, months, and years to come, that they remember to laugh and smile as we celebrate his life. Like everyone, I am deeply saddened by this sudden and huge loss of life, but it is compounded by the fact that I live so far from family and can only be present in spirit as the family progresses to having a funeral at the end of this week. But, everyone, know that our family here in La Réunion is keeping Matthew and all those close to him in our thoughts and hearts forever. Rest in Peace Matthew. We love you.
To anyone who reads this, please feel free to leave comments on this post of any memories you want to share of Matthew.
Matt and I in January 2008, when I came back from Madagascar to visit home for a few weeks. I was surprised to see him looking so grown up because in the year and a half I had been gone, he had become much bigger than me!

Matt even came to greet me at the airport when I arrived.


Matt, Kevin, John, and Alex involved in an intense ping-pong tournement during the summer of 2008. Alex had just met this part of my family for the first time and they were having a blast trying to one-up each other; Matt even jumping around on an injured foot.


All the cousins/grandkids in August 2009, the day Alex and I held our renewal of vows.


Matt and Kevin. Matt readily agreed to be our "DJ" for the event and came dressed in his best, complete with a hat that quite a number of guests tried on throughout the night.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

My father rides Harley Davidsons with Matt's parents. When my father first joined the HOG group, he introduced me to the Beiter boys. We got along really well for a very long time. Every now and then, the HOG group would have a camping trip. Our families would go and the five of us (Beiter boys and 3 Sobieski children) would have a blast. We would walk around the camp grounds making jokes about the Amish, conspiring to steal golf carts, and just talking about life in general. I think it was him that got me hooked on s'mores and taught me how to make really good ones, just golden brown and slightly gooey. I remember him getting into College Park, and i remember how jealous I was. He was always full of knowledge and he loved to share it all. I know he wasn' t planning on being one, but i think he could have made an awesome teacher. My siblings and I are greiving today for our friend. RIP Matt. We will always miss you.

Anonymous said...

I don't know Matt that well.. but I heard about what happened this morning. I was in shock.. He was so young.. he had the cutest lisp. For the few times I talked to him, he lit up my day with his charm and wit. I remember him being a nudist-on-strike for Halloween. He was so funny. I played Guitar Hero at his house once. Even though I didn't know him that well, he made me feel likea life-long friend for the time I hung out with him. RIP Matt.

Anonymous said...

There are few people in the world I will admit might love Harry Potter more than I do. Matt is one of these people. It's something we've always connected on. But more than that we've connected in giving our hearts to a special place called Camp Sonshine. He had become a constant figure in that place. I can say his loss to that place is already being felt, and his involvement in that place will never be forgotten.

Anonymous said...

Camping trips with the Beiters was a highlight of our times spent with the family. The kids all got along so well and always had so much fun together. Matt was always so kind and cheerful, and unlike most teenagers, he would actually talk to me. The relationship he had with his brother was so close and I always hoped my kids could get along like they did (I'm sure when we weren't around they fought...right?) Matt, it was an honor to know you and you will be remembered always. Love, The Sobieski Family

Anne and Michael said...

Our hearts are with you and your entire family at this time of inconceivable sadness and shock. Your loss is enormous. Matt was a unique spirit who will be remembered in different ways by different people - but always remembered with love.
In love and prayer,
Anne and Michael Moriarty

Anonymous said...

i had a few classes with Matt even though i was a few years above him at GHS. never knew him well, but he was a lot of fun to be around. pretty quiet most of the time, but always ready to laugh. i'm sorry for your loss, and the loss for your family. i'll remember Matt very fondly.
-Jay Swearingen

Angie said...

Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. He sounds like he was a really great kid.

Leslie Husain and Family said...

It was a pleasure watching you,Matt and Kevin grow up. So sorry that you can't be here for the funeral but you will be here in our hearts and minds.

Colleen Moriarty and Daniel Britt said...

i remember when matt was a baby... later matt was my partner in crime at the church doughnut sales... just like the rest of his family he always made me laugh... i will miss you matt!!

Karnie said...

I remember first meeting Matt when he was a little kid, and later came to know him better at family dinner's at Mom and Dad Beiter's house when I was living at 10 Marlin Ct. for a few months. I was always impressed with the gracious, mature manner in which he carried himself, seemingly well beyond his years. Even in my limited interaction with him, I could tell that he was (and still is) a genuinely good soul, exuding positive, vibrant energy. The world will sorely miss a person like this, for they are few and far between, but Matt's spirit will endure as we are all inspired by the legacy that he left, continually remembering the good times and good deeds that he was a part of.

Anonymous said...

His Camp Sonshine family is at a huge loss. We are praying for his family and friends and all those who will miss him this summer at Camp Sonshine SS and Camp Sonshine GT.

John Sparrow said...

I only met Matt through his brother Kevin a few times. I got the feeling I know where Kevin got his kind nature in just meeting Matt those few times. I wish I would of had the chance to get to know Matthew better. I am fortunate to have a close relationship with Kevin. Kevin is one of the finest people I know. Kevin if you read this. I will always be there for you. I wish I had a big wand to make this all better. I feel lucky to know you and your family.

Anonymous said...

im very sadden by your loss i will pray for your family and matthew

Anonymous said...

of all the people to leave this world and move to the next, matt was the least deserving. why on earth would someone with such a warm, and good soul be taken? RIP Matthew Raymond Beiter June 20 1990 - May 17 2010

Chrissy said...

Hey Carolyn, I'm sorry I missed you while you were in town. I drive by the roadside memorial almost every day as it is right outside my neighborhood and I say a little prayer everytime I pass by it. I am sorry for your family's loss. I hope you are finding peace knowing he is in a place filled with nothing but love. Take care :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Matt, his family, or his friends but, I know this intersection very well.

I am truly saddened by this accident.

Daily, I make the same left turn onto Snouffer School Road. Watching. Waiting, as the cars speed up the curve into sight. This death could have easily been avoided if people drive the speed limit. Even now, as I wait to make my left turn, I look across the roadway to see Matt’s white cross and the beautiful flowers people have left for him and wonder why people are in such a hurry. They have to see his cross.

My prayer and thoughs are with you, Matt's family and friends.

abby said...

i dont nkow matt at all but as my mother was driving past the place he got hit i was curios to see who had died.so every time we drove past the place i would look out the window and i would want to cry but i couldnt.i am truly sorry for his death and i hope God will bless his family.

Anonymous said...

Matt was my babysitter. But he was more like the older brother I never had. I miss him...

Post a Comment