Thursday, October 21, 2010

ready for the holidays?

You might think I'm starting early when I tell you I've begun planning for Christmas. But since I've decided to handmake all gifts, I think I've got a fair amount done, but still have a long way to go until finishing. And let's remember that it took about 6 weeks for my Christmas package to arrive in the states last year, so really, I've only got a few more weeks until I should ship those gifts out.
To be honest, I started planning in September, using my first tutoring payment to buy the supplies I wanted. I tried to keep the purchases to a minimum, and planned gifts around the supplies I already have, and other things lying around the house. Of course I bought felt in bright red and green, because what are Christmas decorations without felt? I made felt stockings (since we didn't have any last year) in what I thought was normal stocking size and when I showed them to Alex he says "wow, they're huge! In France our stockings are much smaller". Funny the things you learn everyday, huh? But he quickly added, "they're great, love, this means we'll just fill them up with more gifts!" The conversation reminded me of the "Everything is bigger in America" mantra.
Anyways, you can see the beginning of the x-mas workshop here:






That's about all I can show you, because the rest has to remain a surprise!
Hopefully I can keep up my momentum for the next few weeks until most things have to be shipped either to the states or France.
Probably doesn't help that we decided to host a little Halloween party for a few of the kids in our building. Haha! Ohwell, I'm having fun in the process, and I think that's what matters anyway. Back to busyness now-it might be awhile until I'm back in this space!

2 comments:

Angie said...

these are so lovely! i wish i could handmake all of our gifts... but i'm not as talented. i have been going to craft fairs for gifts, which is great... but making something on your own is way more fulfilling, i'm sure.

plus, it means i could avoid the malls. for some reason folks get nastier during the holidays. quite ironic, huh?

Carolyn said...

Agreed! The malls are too crazy for me, and honestly I think they're more usful if you want to window shop and then order stuff online, it usually tends to be cheaper online, plus so many places now offer free shipping...this is way more than I planned to say about malls, haha
1. YOU are one talented lady!
2. Even if you weren't, you don't need any talent for this stuff!
3. I'm doing a handmade cmas because I've fallen in love with the process. Seriously. I didn't think I'd ever become one of those people. But now, I'm looking forward to my daily craft time. Plus I like that other people get interested in crafting too when I do it. Luc loves to participate, usually by taking apart things, but still, it's a start. Alex likes to watch me sew sometimes, if that doesn't sound too weird! And a few of the girls in our building come over almost daily and ask if they can help me in whatever I'm making. As an added bonus they keep Luc occupied during that time! So, really it's become a way to spend time together, and make cool stuff, so I'm loving it!

Post a Comment