Friday, April 15, 2011

the way things are right now

It's been raining here since late last night, and while normally I'd be bummed by a rainy day, I thought it's been nice to take a break from yardwork and laundry and other outdoor things. Luc curled up and watched a movie (a rare treat!), and I started working on a pair of comfy pajama pants for him. Perhaps the lack of warmth from the sun motivated me to ward off any chills? We did, however, brave the rain this morning and made it to our weekly market. Fresh produce markets are a way of life all around the island where they sell delicious tropical wonderful-ness by the piles. The only thing missing today was my favorite vanilla guy who brings his beans from the east coast. You can't walk by their display without being intrigued, least of all, by the sweet vanilla fragrance. The photo above is a plant I picked up this morning, whom I just couldn't resist!
What else is there in our lives you ask? Well, like I alluded to in the previous post, we've experienced something...but I'm not sure how to put it into words yet. I am (we are) going through a process, and writting about it helps, but I've been doing it in a journal thus far. Someday I'll share it here.
Here are some other little tidbits we're excited about:
Luc got into our school of choice for this coming school year. (ok, it's not real school, but maternelle, where the kids start at 3yrs old) Although I have my doubts about school systems in general, this is the best option for us as of now. Perhaps our needs may change in the future, but we'll see how this goes.
We met another young family whose lives and interests (and languages!) are similar to ours! Hard to do on an island this size, you know. I'm excited because I think it's so important for Luc to have a community of english speakers beyond his "ma" and "pa". (that's what mama and papa have been reduced to now. he's so country.)
The composting will begin soon. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of our FREE compost bin! One step closer to that vegetable garden and to reducing our waste. We don't produce an excessive amount as it is, but I think we could reduce our two bags per week to one once the composting begins and once the monkey is potty trained. (we're getting closer to that potty training, people!) I did try to switch him into cloth diapers a while back, but he wanted no part in it. With the next monkey, we'll be using cloth right away, plus trying to work the diaper-free system.
I'm off to finish up the pj pants.
Hope your weekend is lovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment